Thursday, January 29, 2009

I am not 32

Who comes up with demographics? Seriously, 18-32?  What do I have in common with someone who is almost 13 years older than me that could prove statistically significant.

Apparently, people my age are the threshold of "Generation Y," too. But my brother, almost age 17, is not part of the same generation.

This all comes from this article from AdWeek, on a December Pew survey on Internet use amongst Teens 12-17 and the all-encompassing "Generation Y," age 18-infinity or so.

Apparently, e-mail is out, social networking isn't as popular as previously thought, and everyone and their sister plays Call of Duty.  According to the survey, 73 percent of "teens" use e-mail (compared to 89 percent in 2005).  That seems shocking to me, doesn't everybody who has access to the internet use email? Shows you where our priorities are when 78 percent said they play online games.  That means that, assuming about 10 percent of this total group doesn't have regular internet access or are the children of over zealous Asian parents who can only use the computer for homework, 5% of kids play online games but don't ever e-mail, and another 10-or-so-percent don't use the Web for either.

If kids aren't emailing, social networking, or even gaming, what are they doing? Well, I mean I have one guess, but strangely enough to enter certain websites you have to confirm that you are not a part of the "teen" demographic...

No comments:

Post a Comment