Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Location, location, locaiton

Walking through the Carousel Mall the other day, I had to snap a picture of the following:



In the foreground is a triangular mall directory with two ads, and in the background is a Dunkin Donuts. The ad that just so happens to be facing Dunkin is one for Coldstone Creamery's iced and blended coffees. I didn't know Coldstone even had coffee products, but if I'm considering getting an iced coffee and I'm near Dunkin, maybe I trust the ice cream place with an iced product more than the donut place, upon seeing this ad. May I add that this particular August day saw 90 degree temperatures in Syracuse (I don't know how long the ad had been up for).

This reminded me of the age old lesson; location, location, location.

The ad wasn't creative, funny, or necessarily enticing by itself. It's placement is what makes it a great ad. The people most likely to buy an iced coffee product are the ones that have just entered from the heat, are about to leave into the heat, and/or are hovering around a different coffee place. The Dunkin in question was indeed right by one of the mall's main entrances.

Not every creative idea has to be some pun in a print ad or a cute/funny commercial. The ad itself can be rather ordinary by itself, but if it's placed in an ironic or bizzare fashion it can generate huge publicity.

Copyranter points out this bridge in India whose support has been converted into a human bone with an ad for a Calcium supplement:

If this image isn't working, click the link above.

It's too bad that the image appears to be pretty phallic, and the use of the phrase "strong bones" doesn't really alleviate my mind of the naughty image. But whatever, that's the 12-year old in me. Nice job, Saatchi.

No comments:

Post a Comment